Advice to and Facilitation of Euro-Mediterranean Guarantee Network (EMGN) Working Group on Counter Guarantees
Area of Operation: MENA Region (remote)
Duration of Assignment: December 2020 – August 2021
Name of Client: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
LANDT contributed to the Euro-Mediterranean Guarantee Network (EMGN) and its Working Group (WG) on counter guarantees for the credit guarantee schemes operating in the Southern Mediterranean (South Med) region. The WG had a series of six virtual meetings surrounding the concept of counter guarantees in the South Med countries with the participation of the credit guarantee funds (CGFs) of selected countries, academics, market experts and other stakeholders in field of guarantees.
- LANDT acted as the expert moderator of the WG.
- Systematically conveyed the needs of CGFs in the region and examined the ability of counter guarantees to address those needs.
- Learned about the specific expectations of those CGFs from a potential counter guarantee fund.
- Understood the capacity of the CGFs to absorb counter guarantees.
- Discussed what would it take for the CGFs to make use of counter guarantees and how can they benefit.
- Understood the issues involved (country-level) in implementing a counter guarantee fund.